Monday, October 23, 2006

Born of the Sun


As I sit here typing my daily blog, which by the way I've been trying to do since 10am.... my brain is clicking off a list of things that have to get done tomorrow.

When did my days get so short? How did I manage to LOSE TIME by leaving my 60 hour a week job? Sometimes I miss those days when I would get up, go to work, do my business uninterrrupted for the most part, make a list of what needed to get done the next day, come home and take it easy.

I think about how nice it would be to have regular scheduled (mandatory) breaks, overtime, lunches with friends, and a workspace where I would never find a random green crayon or some leftover Cheerios.

Then I think about how many laughs, steps, milestones and memories I would miss. I can breathe easily knowing my girls are being raised by a firm and loving hand, being taught the values I adhere to. They know their mommy is the first line of defense when there is a quarrell, an owie to be kissed, or a peanut butter and jelly to be made. I think about how soon they will be teenagers and will think that everything I do is lame, will want me to drop them off a block from school, and will be embarrassed when I sing or dance. Now, I can sing to Dora the Explorer, dance with my babies throughout the house, and make them giggle when I'm silly. And I realize that I'm exactly where I want to be. I'll just take a breath, and forge ahead on days like today.

I'm a wife, a mother, and an artist. Some days are struggles. Some months are tight, and sometimes finding time to paint means cutting out needed sleep.

But it's all worth it. Because soon enough they'll be off to school all day long, and I'll be counting the minutes until I can pick them up from school and hear about their days.

Until then, I'll paint when I can, play when I can, and do my best to balance both worlds.

In my art world, there is a new piece... "Born of the Sun", a triptych available in my eBay store. Three panels, 14x28 each, total installation 42x28.

No comments: