Saturday, November 25, 2006

"Giving Life" last in a series of small nudes for awhile


"Giving Life" c 2006



Lately I've been feeling nostalgic about babies and pregnancy.... I can understand about babies, my youngest one is almost 15 months old, so I miss the tiny cuddly phase. Pregnancy, I don't have much to reminisce about aside from the fact that I was growing a little person.


With both kids I was horribly sick, I threw up the entire nine months with my first, had to be taken out of work, and was generally miserable. With Stephanie, the second, I only threw up the first 4 solid months, which was lucky since Sophie was only a year old when I got pregnant!


I got diabetes with both girls, and had to be on a strict diet, test my blood sugar, and all that. Labor with Sophie lasted 44 hours, and ended with 4.5 hours of pushing, to the point where I nearly got an emergency c-section. Stephanie's labor was much easier, 5 hours with 30 minutes of pushing.


Looking back at the pregnancies, it is hard for me to understand where this pining for doing it all over again is coming from. Then I look at my little girls and I remember WHY I did it, and the negatives fade just a little bit.... funny how that works.


So, long story short, this tiny little painting is a celebration of the miracle of giving life. For all we go through, all the dreams that come with it, and the sheer beauty of a woman about to become a mother. It's 6x4 on canvas panel.


A big shout out to all the mothers out there!

No comments: