Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Not a good day for painting.


Well, it's becoming obvious as it is 2:30pm that I'm not going to be able to paint ANYTHING today.

Since my girls woke up way too early this morning (they are one and three), I took care of my errands and household stuff, and all of a sudden, it's the middle of the afternoon and I need to get ready for a meeting at my eldest daughter's new preschool.

There is something to be said for working OUTSIDE the home, where you can devote the majority of 8 hours a day to your "work" whatever that may be. I face challenges trying to paint between diaper changes, preschooler tantrums, meals, naps and playdates. I wouldn't change a thing, though.

Today's daily paint not happening, I've decided to write a little about a new abstract piece I listed called "Still Waters". It's a study of the light on the Pacific Ocean at sunset.

I really had fun with texture, color, and composition, and am very pleased with the result. The entire painting has a subtle cinnamon colored shimmer created with a specialty glaze, and lots of texture from the paint and black lava texture medium.

It's 16x16 with gallery wrapped edges. I was never an abstract painter in college, but I find that it's very liberating to create something entirely out of my head, and letting the painting work itself out.

Plus, I get a kick out of my daughter saying things like "Mommy, why did you paint that? You should paint a hippo".

Cracks me up. Have a great day, and hopefully I'll post a couple of new little works tomorrow!

No comments: