Monday, February 19, 2007

Mollie, my chocolate lab


I'm worried about my dog. My dog, Mollie, an 11 year old chocolate lab is sick. She's been sick before, in fact, through her entire life she has had a host of problems, including, but not limited to epilepsy, which would render her completely incapacitiated in the throes of a grand mal seizure.


The epilepsy has passed, but now she's having problems with her hips, she is losing her eyesight, and lately she has developed some really bad tummy problems.
Mollie won't eat. And that is NOT normal. My big fat dog loves her food, so not eating means she really doesn't feel well. And she's had accidents several times in the house in the middle of the night, again NOT normal.


So, today, she is spending the night at the veterinarian's office, while we wait for blood tests to come back in the morning and make a plan of action for treating her.
I'm in a hard place right now, and am trying not to worry about what the future holds for my sweet Mollie. With her hips, I made a promise to myself that I would not make her live out her life in pain. I decided that when she could no longer climb our stairs, I would face the possibility that she was in chronic pain.


But I'm having to look at the idea that my dog might not be around much longer. She's getting old, and it seems like she's going downhill.


It breaks my heart. She is my first baby. I have had her for three years longer than I've known my husband. She used to go everywhere with me when I was single, and slept at the foot of my bed. She snores incessantly, has terrible gas, and her eyes go cock-eyed when she's really tired.
In the vet's office today, I took a good look at her. At the grey that covers her muzzle, her eyes that are starting to get cloudy, and her tired, wobbling gait. I don't know what I'm going to do without her... and God willing, I won't have to find out any time soon.


But, I will do what's best for Mollie, to keep her from feeling pain, regardless of how much it hurts me. Because I love her.

No comments: